Sunday, July 17, 2016

End of the line

So I realized I haven't had time to finish up this travel blog since I came home, so I will do a quick update of the last few days of my trip!
After we left Glacier, and made our way to Washington, we were able to spend one night in Olympic!

We were going to spend the second night there too, but decided to visit my family in Portland, which was a wonderful break in the trip!
After that we spent a night at McMenamins in Forest Grove and got to relax a little!



The next day we went to Bend and got to visit my friend Rob and have a little fun at Atlas Cider! Afterwards we tried to find our campsite, but got lost driving around in the backwoods at midnight (plotline for a horror movie, we know!) and so we spent an exciting night at a Walmart parking lot!

Not so fun.
That morning I got to hike around Smith Rock and I attempted Asterisks Pass, but couldn't figure out how to get all the way up.

So then, we decided to head home a day early since we were pooped and din't know how to spend the rest of the day!
SO,
Now that we've made it half way around the United States and back again, I'd like to think I could give some advice on roadtripping:
1. Gas station food is salty, easy and quick (that's what she said), but don't eat it for lunch everyday.
2. Always, AND I MEAN ALWAYS, make sure your gas tank is at least half full; you never know when there will be a 50 mile break between gas stations!
3. Grilled cheese and top ramen are easy to make and clean on a propane grill.
4. Always keep papers for kindling and always keep your plastic bags for trash cans!
5. Download every podcast known to man, there's going to be looooonnnggg drives.
6. Be a shameless tourist: do the ranger talks, do the guided tours, do the fun stuff. Just do it.
7. Invest in comfy shoes, which seems like a no-brainer, but it needs to be said again.
8. Use WIFI while you have it, you never know when you're going to be stuck days on end with little connection to your friends and family.
9. Take your time, have a seat, and relax. Just chill out and take a look around you.
10. Have fun- seriously. Not everything needs to be done as planned, do whatever makes you happy.

I'll make sure to upload some photos once they've been edited! It might take awhile, so bear with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment