Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Grand Canyon: Day One

You know the stereotypes between North and South: North is cold, green, and full of life, South is red, hot, and sparse. 
Well, these stereotypes 100% apply to the Grand Canyon. 
When I was in middle school I visited the south rim and all I can remember is hot, red heat. But here at the north rim it's almost like being back at the PNW! 
It's definitely not what I expected, which is great in this case since I've been a little tired of the heat.
So when we arrived this afternoon we had a great welcoming party: a pack of bison! I had no idea that they were native to here, so it was very exciting to see them from about 500 feet away! During the drive it also started to cool down and rain a bit, which lifted my spirits for sure. 
We haven't done any hiking yet, but once we arrived at our campsite we found a short trail to this view...
I'm excited to see what we do tomorrow! I think we'll get some laundry done and probably go to a trail that my guy guy recommend! 
I have to admit, I'm getting a little homesick after my first week gone, and I still have three weeks left till I'm home. But, I know that this trip is going to continue to be amazing and being gone for a whole will make the homecoming that much sweeter. I think the busier I stay, the less I think about it! 

*** here's a photo of a plaster dinosaur that they have at these gas stations all over Utah, they make me happy! 


1 comment:

  1. Regarding the dinosaurs, Dinosaur US Nat'l Monument is in Utah. Love your blog. You 2 keep on having fun! xo

    ReplyDelete